Tuesday 19 August 2014

Life in The Mad Land

Hong Kong is a great place to be. Although in summer, it's a bit uncomfortable where temperatures can get to 33 degrees centigrade and 95% humidity. Don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the poor folks of Hong Kong who put up with my moaning! Ice cream, aloe Vera, fake Havaianas, shorts and sun screen never fail to raise a smirk!

I am so very excited because the rugby season in Honkers is about to begin and that kicks off with the annual Rugby Referees camp at the end of August. Usually held over a full day, it's the one of few days I will comply with my alarm clock as the location is usually on the other side of Hong Kong and starts at stupid'o clock. This season, I have many hopes, they include

- no injuries - Hong Kong will be pissing themselves laughing at that claim
- further advancement into Colts and Teenage rugby - can't beat a few hormones!

I have been bemoaning about my knee to every man and his dog since I did it back in January, 1st January to be precise...at a rugby tourno, how apt!  Well on the 13th of August, which was last week, I finally had the all important MRI scan which will hopefully come back with a proper slightly more accurate diagnosis of what I've done. All signs are pointing to a torn meniscus ligament. I've been having some physio at the hospital to try and strengthen up my quadriceps. But between blog and me, the strong man training done at pre-season referees training is ten times better than what I've been doing previously. I will find out the real results next week...whoop. Fingers, toes and rude bits crossed!

I don't know if I've spoken extensively about Sai Kung. Set in the eastern new territories of Hong Kong, I am surrounded by lush green, trees, beaches and best of all, great people. What is traditionally a fishing village. Sai Kung is such a lovely place to be. It's nice coming back to Sai Kung in the evenings away from the madness of HK Island, where I commute to the office each day. Sai Kung is an oasis in itself, people know each other and they look out for one another. What's great for me is the fact that because the city is full of pollution and god knows what, Sai Kung and the new territories are a breath of fresh air, literally. There is always something to do in Sai Kung and there is a reason pilots, sports people and other crazy humans make it their home. With so many bars, restaurants, walks, and more, you'd be forgiven for not wanting to move away from the place. I hope I'll be able to stay in Sai Kung for a long time. It's the antithesis of Central District, but we aren't stuffy.

 We only start hating on the tourists who clog up the single lane traffic on the weekends making it an entire ordeal to get out on the weekend...every damn week. But hey, they bring tourism and junk boat parties our way...and eat all our seafood...I kid you not, once you move to Sai Kung, you become an expert at monitoring when the taxi queue is an acceptable length to leave the bar! 

I'm starting to look for people who would like to do a guest post. I'm looking for people who want to talk about the perils of life. I'm not focussing solely on Ichthyosis, just looking for people who would like a space to see if blogging is for them! 

Looking forward to hearing from anyone, in Hong Kong or abroad! 

X


No comments:

Post a Comment